New
media is a 21st century term that related to the internet and
interplay. New media is a mass communication that uses digital technologies
which are interactive such as internet. It includes two-way communication and involves
“old media” like telephone, radio and TV. Nowadays new media is not a something
new to people because everyone is using it. New media also can be described as
some ability that combines text, audio and video. However, this new media have
change in relation to human identity.
People
nowadays communicate with the new media mostly, not face to face interaction,
such as mobile media. According to Campbell & Park (2008), mobile media
contribute to the rise of a personal communication society. It will lead to the detachment. Mobile media
allows us to completely detach ourselves from locals and communicate. For
example when we have dinner with family or hangout with friends, we are communicating
with them but we’re not put much attention to it because of the mobile media. Other
than that, time is no longer divided into personal, work or leisure because we
get in touch whenever we want. The new media take place on a 24/7 basis in our
everyday life.
So,
here it is. In my opinion, the new media have affected the identity of us. According
to what I’m saying in previous paragraph, we are too communicating with the new
media until we forget about ourselves and people around us. You guys can have
your own opinion about new media and identity and I will be glad if you guys
share it with me. Thank you.
References:
Campbell, S. W., & Park, Y. J. (2008).
Social implications of mobile telephony: The rise of personal communication
society. Sociology Compass,2(2), 371-387.

Hi Fatehah! :-) New Media does affect my identity, I guess. But I think not to the extent that I'd exclude myself in a family gathering just so I can play with my phone. However, it affects greatly on my sleeping pattern. You can say that I am addicted to play games on my smart phone. Even if I was so sleepy and tired, and the next day class is in the morning, I will still stay awake till dawn (2-3 am) just to break a new record on the games I'm playing. Sick, isn't it? But luckily, I realized and can admit that this habit can bring destruction in my life. It affects my attitude in class. Losing focus in lecture is the effect that I hate the most. Also, if I manage to beat my fb's friends high score, it makes me feel good and a bit arrogant. THIS IS BAD! I wonder how can I change this thing. :(
ReplyDeleteI have read your post and I agree with your opinion said that our identity is affected by new media but not all people being affected. Although today is technology era but I am sure that there are a small group of people who don’t want to get involved in any social media. I do use technology in order to make my life easier and sure that everybody was also, but I am not addict with this device including social media. I will play my phone if I have free time and I will never touch my phone while gathering with my family cause I don’t wanna lose my time with them. New media has changed our identity where it affect our attitude in our social life. and it's make us to readapt (again) with the new environment
ReplyDeleteI agree with your opinion saying that our identity has change with the arrival of new media. Our behaviour toward surrounding has change especially when it comes in communicate with other verbally. We tend to have conversation using social media as the medium, just like your example about family dinner gathering. This is a not good sign because we people getting less attached with each other because we more focus with our phone instead of talking or updating each other verbally.
ReplyDeleteOne of the most powerful ways in which technology is altering self-identity is through the shift from being internally to externally driven. In previous generations, most of the social forces that influenced our self-identities were positive; parents, peers, schools, communities, extracurricular activities, even the media sent mostly healthy messages about who we were and how we should perceive ourselves.But now, the pendulum has swung to the other extreme in a social world where the profit motive rules and healthy influences are mostly drowned out by the cacophony of the latest technology.First, popular culture, through both old-school and the latest media, no longer holds a mirror to reflect our self-identities.Second, social media has caused us to shift away from expressing our self-identities.
ReplyDeletehttp://mobilitydigest.com/the-psychology-of-technology-is-technology-stealing-our-self-identities/
Yes I agreed with you Fatehah. At the time of this advanced technology human being are too depend on media. They use to communicate with people virtually until they are forgot people in real world. But there are also have people that are obsessed with social media thus endangering themselves. Nowadays people did not enjoy their life, they prefer to use social media for communicating in everyday life. This is shows that how new identity are born. For example, while having dinner with our friends, everybody busy looking their smartphone without communicate each others. Nowadays we are too much depend on social media until we forgot to enjoy our real life. Then, we should be wise in using media and use it for the beneficial things.
ReplyDeleteMobile media do change human a lot, I will reuse the sentence when I comment wiwi's blog, which are ' cell phone bring you closer to person far away from you, but it takes you away from the ones sitting next to you'.
ReplyDeleteSays the reality nowadays we are doing and don't know when it can be stopped, maybe never stop. So what should we do to stable our identities is a major issue for us to consider.
Mobile media do change human a lot, I will reuse the sentence when I comment wiwi's blog, which are ' cell phone bring you closer to person far away from you, but it takes you away from the ones sitting next to you'.
ReplyDeleteSays the reality nowadays we are doing and don't know when it can be stopped, maybe never stop. So what should we do to stable our identities is a major issue for us to consider.
At the party, everyone bowed their heads and said nothing, but crazy in conversation with a "friends" is not present by phone, sounds a little ironic, isn't it? However, this kind of situation in today's restaurant seems to be very common.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, in the social media, the most we did is communication.
But the real conversation is should be a two-way street, make people to actively participate in, to listen with each other, rather than smirk with a cell phone.
In my opinion, people willing to rely on the network, the main reason is that new media build a utopian space away from the real world for people. Some people may be addicted to the virtual social and ignoring the real world relationships, at the same time, also exist the another people, failed in the real life because of the character, but discovered a new self in the social network. Of course, impact is divided into two kinds, good and bad. But how to get along with the new media, it is that we can decide by ourselves.
I'm agree about the mobile device influence. but then Youngster are more likely the one who really influenced by these.
ReplyDeletePeople tend to find friends online and get attached to them easily. meanwhile you are supposed to not trust people on line.
Old generation (let's say, like your and my parents) mostly haven't exposed to mobile device. they tend to like traditional media like television, newspaper and for communication many still loves thelephone rather than mobile phone.
It depends, honestly. Some people got really addicted to technologies up to the point they ignore their surrounding. Some people are addicted, they feel reluctant at times to let go of their technologies, yet still make time for family and friends as they know, that's where the reality is. There are also some people who needs technology, yet they can still live without it for few days and still doing fine. However, there are always the good sides or the bad sides on each things. You just have to know your priorities, then you will have no problem to cope with technologies without losing your true self in it.
ReplyDelete