Goodbye TV, Goodbye Togetherness






I can still remember when I was younger, I will hurriedly go home and take a bath earlier than my other siblings just to secure my spot in front of the TV. The rules were, who "booked" the TV first will have the power to watch their favourite shows. So sometimes, my siblings and I will fight among ourselves on who will watch what shows and such. My mischievous brothers at times purposely stand in front of the TV or cover the decoder so that I won't be able to change the channel. I think the only time when we did not fight over such things is when we unanimously decided to watch the same show or when our parents decided that it's their time to watch TV. The whole family members will gather in front of the TV whenever there is an interesting shows such as live soccer game, music award or movie night. My mum will always cooked or prepared us snacks so we could eat when watching TV. The same thing will happen when we go back to our hometown. My relatives will all sit and lay on our back everywhere like a can of sardines to watch television together.

However nowadays, I could see that people rarely watch TV anymore. Even if they do, the younger generation especially would rather play with their smartphones especially during commercial breaks. The fun that we used to have when we gather around with our family are rarely seen nowadays. Do you know that smartphone is now has risen to the #1 screen, beating television? Yes it has. As a matter of fact, even since 2 years ago. In this century, I must admit that smartphone is a MUST. We need it in order to catch up with the latest updates. If we don't, then we will be left behind. There are so many things smartphones can do which I don't have to list it out anymore. That's why they are called smartphones. They have the capability to do things beyond our imagination. I love the idea that smartphones can be the mobile alternative for television as it eases our life as well. But I don't think smartphones can replace the classic vibe which TV gives. The happiness, the fun, the warmth, the comfort, the small talks we have during commercial breaks and the sense of togetherness when people are actually gather around, sit together just to watch the same show, without any distractions from smartphones. If smartphones are actually taking over the importance of television, do you think that we would still watch TV as a leisure, yet meaningful activities with our family?


Sterling, G., (2014). Study Confirms Smartphone Now #1 Screen, Beating TV. Retrieved from http://marketingland.com/study-confirms-smartphone-now-1-screen-77354
Share on Google Plus

About Fatin Hazwani Zainudin

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

10 comments:

  1. Hye Ms. Hazwani, I am partially agree with your statements. Nowadays, due to the technological advancement and all the latest devices that can be used to access information anytime and anywhere we need. Perhaps turn out to be an opponent to the existence of television. People are tend to depend on their mobile to get connected and find current issues, because it is easier and more simple for them rather than to sit and watch a TV that will take hours. However, we cannot deny that the TV’s era is not finished yet, there are still people using TV as sources of information, business, news, edutainment, entertainment, or even when they are siting togeher in living room watching a movie with their own family members, a moment that I believe everyone had one. Although, now we have our own bustle and works await for us but then it is not wrongdoing to get together with family and spend (maybe) an hour or less for watching TV to feel again the togetherness, because a person will never regret what their doings after it becomes a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays, televisions are no longer become a choice for kids who have ready access to smartphone. For example, my younger sister, she spends a lot of time using smartphone rather than watching television. She said she was bored watching television because they don’t show an interesting movie. Most of the time they repeat the same movie. While using the smartphone, she can watch movie or cartoons in YouTube. Therefore, she also plays games and listening music in using smartphone. Although we are busy looking the smartphone but we are still watching TV together at night as a leisure time. Even smartphone have a multifunction but I still prefer to watch TV. This is because while watching TV we have a precious time with our family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I admit, people through the television to watch programs is gradually disappearing today. Including the children, they are competing for is no longer the TV screen, but the mobile phone or tablet.
    In fact, I have a kind of obsession, I believe that there are still exist a large part of people prefer TV rather than mobile phone. Beacause I am. But for portability and other advantages of cell phone, make it seems to be the masters when we go out. When we go back to home, we always turn on the TV habitually, but unfortunately, we may no longer devoted it like used to be. We check the pushing message and knock the keyboard from time to time. Have to tell the truth, it is difficult to concentrate on watching an entire episode TV series for me now.
    Many years ago, Bill Gates Shouted, "we will occupy the sitting room!" So a whole world were filled with waiting. Unfortunately, so far, there is no success, the change are yet to come. I believe that television position cannot be swayed, but the atmosphere already can't go back.
    However, I still looking forward to seeing the popularity of smart TV. And I am really happy to see the currency changes of TV configuration in nowadays China, and I like that feeling of my family sat on the sofa watching a movie together, Hmm...just like back to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I’m agree with your statement Fatin, The role of televisyen nowadays become less and less important. The development of technology nowadays gives people choice to choose what medium they more preferred. The latest devices such as Smartphone that have multifunction give people more reason to choose it as their medium. But still, I cannot denied that watching TV with my family is one of meaningful moments with my family especially watching sport tournament. When everyone argue about their favourite team and state our own opinion just to make the atmosphere alive. You can’t never replace the precious moments with your family and this memory will become the memory that you will remember and treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fatin Hazwani! As far as I am concern with the decreasing affection of togetherness due to lack of people watching TV nowadays, I wonder if it still can be maintained with current technology now. I mean why TV can while more sophisticated modern technology cannot? Is it not all depends on us at the first place? For example XBOX, a high tech gaming. It promotes a whole family to be a part as it can be played by multiple players such as bowling, golf, zumba, and so much more. In addition, smart phone in fact can brings togetherness as long as the individual is responsible enough to realize about the importance of being socially alive with surrounding. How is this possible? Maybe the concept of togetherness in this high-tech era is somewhat different with the current understanding we have now. Take Whatsapp group for example. It does make your circle of clique closer even when you only meet once a year. Yes?��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi fatin. I'm agree with your statement that smartphones taking over the importance of television. I'm also have same experience with you. I'm still remember my two sisters always fighting just because to see their favorite movie or show on the television. My first sister like to watch English movie while my second sister like to watch hindustan. However,today they don't fight anymore because of the advancement of technology, for example Astro. Astro now provide us with recording, so we can record any show or movie if we cannot watch it on that time, so there will be no problem for us. Back to the smartphones, yes all of us have smartphones. I admit that I'm also rarely watch television when I'm at home, this is because everything on Tv nowadays,we can get it online too. But,if there any interesting show or award, I will watch it together with my family. It is depend on us to understand the concept of togetherness. Actually, until today my family and I still watching tv together and have a great time because not all the time we play with our smartphone. Indeed there are many program that require the whole family watch together like Gegar Vaganza, Kilauan Emas and others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, television bring us a lot fun, a lot memories, sometimes when I thought back, even though the things happened with siblings with family during that time made us unhappy, but nowadays I feel so memorable, so unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, television bring us a lot fun, a lot memories, sometimes when I thought back, even though the things happened with siblings with family during that time made us unhappy, but nowadays I feel so memorable, so unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think and I feel the same with you ms Hazwani. Television in the past is the real king of any entertainment media. but now, smartphone won the "game". people are now seeking a media that can do many things at once. Smartphone can do that, but television not.
    I think its okay since nothing lasts forever, maybe we can consider its almost the end of televisions era. but I hope people still can feel the joy and togetherness of watching television with family and the one you loved. because watching tv gave you other sensation than streaming or watching something on other devices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Television has no longer got many attentions today because of the invention of smartphone. Since I was kid, I am not the person who loves to watch TV every time but my siblings yes. I saw they always fight for the remote control although they were fight but this is the part of togetherness. Even though we don’t like the channel but we have no choice and still watching it. but it’s rarely happen with today generation, as I could see my nephews. Most of them will stop watching tv and choose to watch or play a game in any smartphone as they get it. I never see they fight for the tv control. However until today my family still watch tv and take this opportunity as gathering time, but I could say that some of my nephews which are in adolescent age are always busy with their phone and little bit hard to talk with them while playing with their phone. This is due to their attention is focus on the phone screen and actually not only happen with the kid but adult too, as human who live in technology and social media era we think that we cannot NOT use smartphone or we will left the news or something that we think important to us. I am sure that as student like us we can live without TV or Laptop but cannot without smartphone.

    ReplyDelete